Sunday, April 1, 2012

Why blog? Why now?

Well for one thing, I'm driving my friends crazy on Facebook.

I am currently 30 weeks and 5 days pregnant with my second son. I have been on bed rest and, therefore, out of work since the first week of February. As my restrictions have increased over the weeks, my days have boiled down to watching television series, wandering the internet's good and bad neighborhoods, and spending more time on Facebook than a hormonally-challenged sensitive soul ever should. Occasionally, I have forms to fill out or childcare arrangements to make for my older son, Levi, as we shuffle my restrictions and my husband's work schedule. Although we often discussed a second child, we did not plan my getting pregnant two months before my 40th birthday and at this particular juncture in our lives.

So why blog? I have a lot to say. I have a lot to sort out. And even when I feel as though I am indulging in "listening to myself vent" or over-sharing, I get constant reenforcement from others of the universal truth in each of our struggles to suit up and show up for life.

Also, life is so fucking funny. It's easy to miss that when we're afraid and lonely and jockeying for position in the galaxy but when I write, I see it. And I laugh. And when I laugh, I'm momentarily healed. And, right now, my belly button pops out when I really laugh. Hysterical!

You should also know: I am a lover of movies. And of high-quality television. My homage to Boba Fett in the title of this blog tips off a favorite, but I'm Star Wars geek-lite and hardcore consumer of film and TV. That is not to say I am glued to the set during my "regular" life. I'd rather explore the world with my sidekick, Levi. But movies have always been the soundtrack of my life and inhabit my vernacular and world view every day.

Finally, I have a lot of opinions and no place to put all that energy right now. I'm a liberal, but I take each issue and story as it comes so I might surprise you. Or I may be totally predictable and cause you to roll your moderate or conservative eyes. Either way, this is not a politics blog. It's a life blog. It's a real-time memoir.

Why now? I'm a 40-year-old mother with another on the way on leave from a job I am ambivalent towards, at best. I have a marriage that breaks many molds, for better or worse, and I suck at holding babies in. I have a fabulously flawed family; my mother, who died in April 2009, is my missing piece. And I have some time, now that I am on strict at-home bed rest.

For those who are interested, the medical facts in a nutshell are as follow: I have a short cervix, most likely as a result of a LEEP surgery to remove a carcinoma in situ (tiny spot of cancer) from my cervix in 1999. I also have regular contractions which cause further changes in my cervix over time. It happened with Levi who ultimately arrived at 33 weeks. There was no guarantee it would happen again with this pregnancy, but here we are.

As a newcomer to the blog world, I think I'll start with that. Find some other bounty hunters to follow. And thank you for visiting.

Bunny

2 comments:

  1. oh.my.god. welcome to the blogging world. i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be so much fun. Welcome to the party. :)

    ReplyDelete